Patient Portal Button
(847) 473-4357
Banner and Title

Patient Resources


RFUMS Student Health Information

Apr 9

Written by:
4/9/2015 8:23 AM  RssIcon

Welcome RFUMS Students!

Read on to learn more about the clinical and immunization services available to RFUMS students through the Rosalind Franklin University Health Clinics.

For general questions, or to schedule a medical appointment: (847) 473-4357
Student Occupational Health (Immunizations): (847) 578-8502
Student Counseling Service: (847) 578-8723

What is the RFU Health Clinics?

The RFU Health Clinics is a multi-specialty medical practice offering a variety of services including Primary Care, Immunizations, Podiatry, Behavioral Health, Reproductive Medicine, and Travel Medicine. We serve patients of all ages, from both within the RFUMS community (students, faculty and staff) and from our surrounding communities.

During your time at RFUMS, the Health Clinics is here to provide you with medical care, counseling services (through the Student Counseling Service), and immunization coordination to ensure you're up to date with all vaccinations required for matriculation to the University and entry into your clinical rotations.

Where is the Health Clinics located?

Our address is 3471 Green Bay Road. We’re just south of the main RFUMS campus, on the other side of the Woodlands Apartment complex. The Health Clinics is housed in a former mansion, though the main and lower levels have been renovated to accommodate clinical and office space. Our reception desk, waiting area and exam rooms are located on the main level; to access the Student Counseling office, take the elevator off the waiting room down to the Lower Level. You will need your RFUMS student ID to access the Counseling office.

Do I need an appointment to see a doctor, or can I just walk in?

We do prefer that you schedule an appointment, to help ensure you are seen in a timely manner. However, walk-ins are welcome every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from noon – 1 p.m. Also, we try to accommodate same-day appointments whenever possible. Give us a call at (847) 473-4357 and we’ll get you in as soon as possible, based on provider availability. To schedule an appointment with the Student Counseling Service, call (847) 578-8723.

What are the Health Clinics hours?

Medical services are available Monday through Saturday. Current hours are:

Monday: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Tuesday: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.

Wednesday: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Thursday: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Friday: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Saturday: 8 a.m. - noon

Student Counseling Service

Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m., with walk-ins welcome from 3 - 4 p.m.

Is the Health Clinics similar to the Health Center at my undergraduate institution?

Not exactly. We do offer a wide range of clinical services (annual physicals, women's health exams, urgent care), an in-house dispensary where you can get many commonly prescribed antibiotics and over-the-counter medications, and counseling for RFUMS students. However, the Health Clinics does not serve ONLY members of the RFUMS community. We also serve patients from local communities surrounding the University. So in that sense, the Health Clinics model is more of a traditional medical practice.

That being said, we are committed to ensuring that all RFUMS students have access to quality, timely health care. We’ve expanded our hours to include walk-in times over the lunch hour and office hours every Saturday morning. Student Counseling is now available Monday through Friday, and we have a Student Occupational Health Coordinator dedicated to assisting you with your immunization requirements for matriculation and entry into clinical rotations.

Will my teachers also be my doctors at the Health Clinics?

No. To best serve the RFUMS student population, the Health Clinics employs doctors, physician assistants and counselors with no academic affiliations at RFUMS. While some RFUMS faculty members do practice at the Health Clinics, they do not provide patient care to students. When scheduling an appointment with the Health Clinics, please let us know you are an RFUMS student, so we can make sure you are seen by a non-faculty provider. Your visits to the Health Clinics for medical or counseling services are not part of your academic record, but are kept within the Health Clinics as health records.

Is there a cost to visit the Health Clinics?

For medical services, the cost of your visits to the Health Clinics will depend largely on the terms of your health insurance policy. Neither the University nor the Health Clinics charge students a flat “student health” fee each year, the way many undergraduate institutions do. Rather, we bill your health insurance for the cost of the medical services you received from the Health Clinics.

The amount of money you may be required to pay is dependent on the terms of your health insurance policy. Your health insurance policy, NOT the Health Clinics, determines the amount of your co-pay for office visits; the amount of your deductible that must be paid before full benefits take effect; your prescription drug costs, etc…The Health Clinics has staff members on site who can help explain your financial responsibilities, and can be reached by calling (847) 578-8546.

Please note: visits to the Student Counseling Service are free of charge for all currently enrolled RFUMS students.

What types of insurance are accepted at the Health Clinics?

We accept a variety of PPO insurance plans, including the health insurance policy offered through RFUMS. You can view the list of major insurance carriers we accept by clicking here.

Can I see a doctor at the Health Clinics if my insurance plan is an HMO?

We don’t turn away patients just because they have HMO insurance, but please be advised that our doctors are not in network with HMO insurance plans, which may result in the patient paying a higher percentage (or possibly all) of the cost of visiting an out-of-network doctor. However, if you are from outside the state of Illinois – for example, you are from California and on a parent’s insurance plan which is an HMO – we recommend you call the toll-free customer service number listed on the back of your insurance card and notify your insurance company that you are a student currently studying and living in another state. Your insurance company can advise you on your level of coverage in these cases.

I'm an incoming RFUMS student. Where can I find my immunization paperwork?

Please select the appropriate form below, based on your program of enrollment. Print the form and obtain all required documentation specified on the form.

I'm entering a CLINICAL program (Chicago Medical School, College of Health Professions, College of Pharmacy, or Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine)

I'm entering a PRE-CLINICAL program (BMS - Biomedical Sciences Program or PMP - Chicago Area Health Program)

I'm entering a NON-CLINICAL program (School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies or Board Review Course)

Skip Navigation Links.